Thursday, July 11, 2013

What I'm Cooking Wednesday's:

Hey guy's I want to start a new series of posts and they will be called "What I am Cooking Wednesday's".  It's where I will share on Thursday's what I cooked the night before.  I will be trying some new things and mastering some old.  Feel free to use any of the recipe's I am providing and I promise I will be 100% honest as I review and recap them.


This Week's Dish:

Bowtie Pasta with Sausage and Escarole

Image Credit


So before I begin I will say that this is a recipe I tried a while back when I was doing weight watchers.  I can never seem to find Escarole so I did replace mines with Rapini (aka Brocolli Rabe).  I actually love this dish, it has small spicy kick to it and it allows me to eat pasta without all of the guilt that normally comes with it.

On to the recipe:

Ingredients:
6 oz of uncooked pasta bowties (I used the whole box)
1/4 tsp of salt (for when you cook the pasta)
1 tsp of olive oil
8 oz of uncooked turkey sausages, hot Italian style (removed the castings - the clear film that holds the meat together) (I used 4 out 5 that came in the package)
1 small uncooked onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves (I used the minced garlic that comes in the jar)
8 cups of escarole, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces (remember I used Rapini instead)
3/4 cup of chicken broth
14 1/2 can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I actually only used 1/2 of the can)
1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese (I used 1/2 of cup and I used shaved Parmesan)

Preparation:

Cook pasta in lightly salted water according to package directions; drain pasta and return to pot.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, breaking up sausage as it cooks, until sausage is lightly browned.

Add garlic, rapini (escarole) and broth to skillet; cook, stirring often, until rapini (escarole) is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and red pepper flakes; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

Spoon sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese; sprinkle with red pepper flakes (if desired).


Here is a look (from my cell phone) of how my pasta came out.  Feel free to ask any questions below!


No comments:

Post a Comment