Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I've got the hair blues....

Photo Credit

After coming off of a weekend of joy I have found myself having the hair blues.  I mean it!  I went from feeling my hair to feeling like I am letting my hair get the best of me!  I know you all know the feeling I am talking about sort of when your hair goes from doing everything you want to just not laying right.  I mean I feel like I went from Tracy Ellis Ross to the black boy in high school musical.....it's just got me all in a funk.  

I was in target the other day (shopping for hair product) and a lady stopped me and said "what do I need to put on my hair to make it look like yours?"  That got me thinking about how I have felt like that many times and what I have tried to do to change my attitude (all of that is what led to this post)

First things first....you have got to stop comparing your hair to every other person's hair
This is probably the single most hardest thing to do.  We see people everyday on television, in the mall, at the club, or wherever and we get caught up in the "my hair won't do that" syndrome.  I have been guilty of this many times and I am sure I will have a few more moments like this.  I think the thing here is you have to stay motivated and find ways to "own" your hair.  I know there have been moments when I thought my hair could have turned out better but random people have stopped to share their admiration.  So find yourself and stick with it!  Focus on the great times with your hair and use that as motivation for future styles.

Step back and see the bigger picture...
Hair is just that ...hair! It will grow it will shed and if you don't trim it, it will split (lol).  So even when you are frustrated with your hair do not make fast decisions. I have been guilty of this many times!  I have been in the position where a style didn't turn out the way I wanted I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut it out.  I am known for acting on impulse and sometimes it worked out where others I wished I had never done it.  So the key is to take the time to think about it before you do it.

Lastly know your going to fail (it's the truth)
Most of us are not natural born hairstylists shoot there have been several times in the beginning of my hair journey where I tried a style once (for some several) times and it did not turn out the way I expected.  The key here is to take note of what you can change about the process you did and the next time change it.  For example my first set of  Bantu Knots on my natural hair did not turn out the way it did when my hair was still relaxed (I liked the outcome better then ha ha).  It took about seven tries before I got some results I loved.  So be prepared to fail at some styles a couple of times before your in love with the results.

So the next time your feeling down and out about your hair try to use these tips to help you "cope" through the blues...

No comments:

Post a Comment