Friday, January 6, 2012

On the Healthier Side.....


So with this being the start of a new year everyone is going through their diet/workout craze.....yes I am one of those people (in my defense I plan to stick this one out).  I thought I would share with you all what I am eating on as I go through my South Beach Diet.  The picture above is a small serving of what the South Beach Diet calls "Chock Full of Veggies Chili" and what I'd like to call the best darn salad I have ever made.  Below you will see some more pics and the recipes/ingredients that I used to make both.  I really did enjoy the chili and I recommend making it.

Chock Full of Veggies Chili
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon  extra virgin olive oil

2 Bell Peppers (any color) chopped
1 1/2 cups of chopped mushroom (please note I did not use this)
1 large onion chopped
2 Celery stalks chopped
3 Garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon chili powder (I used way more than that)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin (I used way more than that)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 cans of pinto beans (15 ounce) (I only used one)
1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes, no salt added, with juices

Directions:
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add peppers, mushrooms, onion, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften, about 7 mins.  Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes more.  Add beans and tomatoes with their juices (I drained most of the bean juice).  Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until chili is fragrant ans slightly thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.


Salad
Ingredients:
Spring Salad Mix
Red Onion
Green Peppers
Yellow Peppers
Red Peppers
Tomatoes
Olives
Green Onion (Scallions)
Cucumber
Oregano Seasoning
Wishbone Fat Free Italian Dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment