Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday Chic Spotlight: Brittany Harris

I told myself I wanted to take some time to interview/talk with ladies I felt were standing out.  Whether they are shining in the hair game, fashion world, socially, whatever.  So I am going to begin a series called "Tuesday Chic" and I plan on doing this series every Tuesday as long as you all allow me.  So without anymore of my rambling madness I will get on with this weeks spotlight.

                      Tuesday Chic: Brittany Harris


1) When did you decide to go natural and what made you decide to go?
 I decided to go natural Summer 2010. I worked at a girl's camp at the time, and we dealt with a lot of issues concerning body image and self esteem with our girls.  It became increasingly difficult for me to tell my girls to be comfortable and confident in their own skin, when I was not.  My hair had been a topic of concern for me for quite some time.  Because I was at a camp with limited resources, I tried my best to keep my processed hair healthy and looking presentable. I secretly went through my own image issues surrounding my hair, and the way it made me look. I felt like a hypocrite with my girls and decided that I would undergo the ultimate test of confidence- to cut off the long tresses I had all my life, to go natural. It was hands down, one of the best decisions I've ever made!

2) What is your normal nightly hair routine?

 I'm really big on hair care and maintenance. So I before I go to sleep, I massage a small amount of 100% Natural African Shea Butter into my hair and scalp and protect it with a satin sleep cap.

3) What is style is your favorite to rock?
My favorite style to rock is my FRO! It's gotten a lot longer so I usually fro it out and part it on the side. The part makes for a cute style that is appropriate for most occasions.

4) What is the one product you would be useless without?
I'd be useless without my Shea Butter! It locks in moisture, protects my hair from the elements, and I can use it on my hair and skin! It's so versatile.

5) What advice would you give to someone that is newly natural?
    I'd tell anyone who is newly natural to be patient with themselves.  The process of going natural is not only a physical change, but an emotional and mental change as well.  Be patient because the confidence to rock your natural texture is not always immediate. It will take time to learn your texture and the products that work best for you.  It will also take time to feel 100% comfortable with the length and texture, especially in a society that values longer/straighter hair.  Love yourself and be good to yourself when embarking on this journey

Want to be featured as a Tuesday Chic?  Send an e-mail to allthingsrelevant@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. I love Britt's Fro it fits her personality sooo much.

    ~Makiya

    ReplyDelete